Tuesday 21 June 2016
Right to Rent documents and references

It is essential for all landlords to check that potential tenants have the Right to Rent. The following documents all serve as evidence of a tenant's right to live in the UK:

  • UK passport
  • European Economic Area passport or identity card
  • Permanent residence card or travel document showing indefinite leave to remain
  • Home Office immigration status document and a certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen

Referencing is also a vital tool for any landlord – but simply collecting them is not enough. All too frequently landlords demand references only to let them sit in a drawer unopened. If you are going to take references, you need to make sure you follow them up. A simple phone call to an employer or other referee will be enough.